Sexual Health & Family Planning
Sexual health and family planning is an extremely important process for couples and individuals, regardless of what your unique plans entail. Sexual health visits like well women visits are helpful resources for couples looking to discuss their family planning needs.
Direct Care Physicians of Pittsburgh (DCPP) is an excellent resource for women and couples that are in need of services. Our practice offers any and all standard physical exams and tests, in addition to providing PAP smears, STI testing, and urine pregnancy testing. Whether you’re looking to have children, prevent pregnancy, or you need any other kind of support, you deserve a hands-on medical physicians that is dedicated to spending all the time and energy you deserve to feel confident and cared for.
Some people seeking sexual health and family planning services feel less than supported in this area by traditional primary care physicians. At Direct Care Physicians of Pittsburgh (DCPP), we’re committed to doing things differently. As a physician-owned family medicine practice, we have the ability to eliminate the costs and hassle of traditional sexual health and family planning, improve the doctor-patient relationship, offer discounted labs and medications, and provide improved physician access.
Well Woman Check Ups near you
Direct Primary Care for Women
Similar to an annual physical, an annual well woman visit is an opportunity for patients and doctors to meet and check over a number of medical and health-related factors. But where an annual exam focuses on general physical wellness, a well woman visit can include a review of female-specific health issues, such as those that affect the reproductive system.
The team at Direct Care Physicians of Pittsburgh takes pride in the fact that we focus on preventative care -- that means catching the warning signs and symptoms of illness and injury before it happens, rather than waiting until you’re sick to provide care. Well woman visits are an extremely important way for you to check in with your physicians about women’s health concerns on a regular basis, allowing us to begin treating any issues that may arise as early as possible.
Note that you can also spend half an hour with one of our doctors during an initial consultation, where you can explore the DPC care model and ask us questions directly. You will have no obligation to register with us following a consultation. No medical advice or treatment will be offered at this consultation.
Family Planning Consultations in wexford & Pittsburgh
Individualized Family Planning and Contraception
Family planning is extremely personal, and every individual has unique needs to consider when deciding on the best family planning and contraception needs. At Direct Care Physicians of Pittsburgh, our team is highly experienced in offering one-on-one counseling to women, taking the time to listen and helping them apply their goals to the best family planning methods for them.
DCPP is proud to include family planning as part of our suite of woman-specific services. If you’re looking for contraception, we’ll gladly discuss all of your options with you, including:
- Birth control pills
- Contraceptive implants
- Natural Family Planning methods for those who do not want to use medications or devices to prevent pregnancy
Note that you can also spend half an hour with one of our doctors during an initial consultation, where you can explore the DCPP care model and ask us questions directly. You will have no obligation to register with us following a consultation. No medical advice or treatment will be offered at this consultation.
Frequently Asked Questions about Sexual Health & Family Planning
Why Do I Need a Separate Women’s Health Appointment?
While an annual physical can address the most common physical ailments in both men and women, a well woman visit focuses on preventative care specifically in relation to the female body. Women’s health exams include:
- Specific services -- like shots -- that aim to prevent certain health issues, such as those that commonly affect the female reproductive system
- Specific screenings regarding illnesses that women are at a higher risk of developing, or illnesses that could affect a woman in a strong, negative manner (Ex. Some STIs can cause fertility problems in women)
- Focused education and counseling to help women make informed health decisions regarding family planning, etc.
What Should I Expect During A Well Woman Visit?
Every exam will go a little bit differently, depending on an individual’s specific care needs. However, the following are all common components of a well woman visit:
- A physical exam that measures height and weight, checks her blood pressure, and calculates her BMI
- A review of her medical history and family health history
- A discussion of her sexual health and sexual partners
- A review of her eating habits, physical activity, and use of alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs
- A discussion of her medications and supplements, i.e. vitamins, minerals, or herbs
- A review of her mental health history, including depression
- A discussion about her relationships and safety
- A discussion about family planning and contraception (i.e. pregnancy prevention and the best methods for each woman; may include a review of Natural Family Planning methods for women who do not want to use medications or devices to prevent pregnancy)
- A discussion (if appropriate) about menopause symptoms, treatment, etc.
- A clinical breast exam (feeling your breasts and under your arms for lumps or other changes)
- A pelvic exam (used to evaluate the size and position of the vagina, cervix, uterus, and ovaries; certain symptoms of these organs can indicate reproductive cancers, infections, sexually transmitted infections, etc.)
If for any reason Direct Care Physicians of Pittsburgh cannot provide any of the tests you may need, we will work to coordinate your necessary care with another trusted care facility.
What Questions Should I Bring to a Well Woman Visit?
As with any doctor’s visit, these appointments are a wonderful time to bring questions regarding your current and future health needs. Women are encouraged to bring up any questions about the following (or anything else on their minds) to their appointment:
- Birth control options
- Sexually transmitted illnesses (STIs)
- Preparing to get pregnant
- Relationship health and safety
- Anxiety, depression, or other mental health issues
- Eating healthy
- Being more active
To learn more about the health guidelines for a woman of your age, contact us or visit The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists' website. If you have additional questions about specific care options for a particular health issue, please contact us! We would love the opportunity to review your needs and determine if we are a good fit for your healthy living efforts.
Do you provide other healthcare services specific to women?
Yes! The team at Direct Care Physicians of Pittsburgh is proud to provide a wide range of direct care women’s health services including breast exams, pelvic exams, counseling, lifestyle guidance, and more. If you’re a woman interested in taking charge of your health, we can help!
Do you provide care for transgender patients?
At Direct Care Physicians of Pittsburgh, we do provide care for transgender patients.